Thursday, October 23, 2008

Miscommunication

When I was in high school, I worked as a hostess at Carrabba's Italian Grill. Working in a restaurant is a fast paced job that requires a lot of communication. Hostessing may seem like a minor job in the restaurant industry but in reality it is not. I was in charge of running the seating "board" for the entire restaurant to run smoothly. One night when we were extremely busy, on an hour wait at least, my boss freaks out on my for not reason! I had been managing the board well all night, so I had no idea what the problem was. Of course we couldn't speak about it with all the guests around, so I followed him into the kitchen. Apparently, unknown to me, a party of 30 had called earlier in the week and made a reservation and they had just arrived anxious for their table. The whole restaurant was packed and everyone already had their estimated wait time. The reason for this miscommunication was that the new hostess had failed to write down the reservation when it got called in, so of course I got blamed! To make a long story short, I had to bump up every one's wait time, including the party of 30, which ended up getting 15% off of their meal because of the fiasco. Needless to say, this could have all been prevented if the new hostess had written the reservation down! It was a learning experience for her, and I bet she won't make that mistake again!

No comments: